We really can’t decide…which is worse…mosquitos or flies? As summer is approaching, these buzzing, irritating, aviation horrors can most certainly make you go loco! We did a bit of investigating, to see if there are any redeeming qualities to these two summer pests.
Crazy mosquito facts
- Mosquitos are extremely slow: Mosquitos can only fly at speeds between 1.5 and 2.5 kmph, but alas, is there anything harder to catch when you are trying to sleep?
- They know how to slow dance: It has been discovered that before mating mosquitoes engaged in a sort of dance that involves beating their wings in a call-and-response type of manner.
- Synchronised wing beats: When a male and female mosquito meet and decide to mate, their wing beats actually synchronize to the same speed.
Crazy fly facts
- They can walk upside down: This is due to each foot containing two fat foot pads (called pulvilli) which contain tiny hairs that produce a glue-like substance made of sugars and oils which provides them with excellent grip, perfect for scaling any surface.
- They can be so BIG…and then sooo small: Gauromydas heros, with a length of up to 7 cm , is generally considered to be the largest fly in the world, while the smallest is Euryplatea nanaknihali, which at 0.4 mm is smaller than a grain of salt.
- Zoooooooooommm: The horse-fly is the fastest flying insect, and has top speeds of around 145 km/h.
Most people don’t like either of them, even though they are fascinating creatures. No problem, Service Master can sort out your fly or mosquito problem in two wags of a lamb’s tail. Contact Us today for the best solution to get rid of these pesky critters!